Thursday, June 30, 2011

I-Cord on a Circular Needle

   The first purse I made called for an I-cord.  I made it in the standard way with two double point needles.  You cast on 2, 3, or 4 stitches, knit them, and then instead of turning the work around, you push the stitches to the end of your needle, switch hands, and knit them again, drawing your working yarn across the back.  The result is a beautifully rounded tube that when felted is sturdy and durable.
   The trouble is that when felting I generally use a size 10 1/2 needle, or larger.  I don't have any double points that are that large.  On the first purse I designed, I simply used size 8 double points for the straps. This worked fine, but later I wanted to do something similar with a thicker yarn.  At first I used a circular needle, pushing the yarn all the way down the wire to the other end. This, as you might suppose, was mighty tedious for a 3 stitch row, and I was beginning to greatly dislike I-cords.  I began to simply slip the stitches back to the right hand needle after each row. Simple. Relaxing. Quick.  It is now my preferred method for I-cords regardless of the needle size and availability of double points.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those now-why-didn't-I-think-of-that things. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just about smacked myself on the forehead. Thanks for the idea! Circular needles have replaced everything else in my knitting, except double points for icords. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete