Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Beauty of the City

   As I read this morning from Ezekiel 27 about the glories of the city of Tyre, I was struck by this passage:


"They have made thy beauty perfect." (verse 11.)

The work of wicked men may be admirable for its beauty.  I can't help admiring the great buildings and the skylines of many of the cities I have visited. They don't offer the same sense of quiet peace that the beauties of God's creation provide, but there is nonetheless a beauty and a glory in them ~ and this passage of Scripture assures me that there is no wrong in noticing and admiring it. Yet to own it and to trust in it would be folly, for judgement is proclaimed against it.

   All that is in the world is not of the Father, (1 John 2:16.) and even if it has its beauties, I take my place outside the camp with the Lord Jesus Christ.  "For here (on earth) have we no continuing city, but seek one to come." (Hebrews 13:11-14.)

No comments:

Post a Comment