Saturday, May 21, 2016

Prayer for Children

I thought myself safe when I posted a short article against the general tendency among some Christians to blame the mother when children rebel. I thought this because I have four grown children, none of whom rebelled. If I do not cast blame, neither can I take credit. The only credit I can take is that I prayed. Amidst many failures, I went to God through my Savior and asked for what I wanted.

The tendency to find fault often gets in the way of prayer. I do not want to discourage anyone from trying to be the perfect parent and the best imaginable example to your kids. Please do. Put all your heart and soul into it --- but in the end you will fail. And so will your spouse. Your only hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ. The best parenting advice I have heard came from a man who had prayed his daughter back from rebellion. He said he had three words for people who asked his advice: 1. Pray. 2. Pray. 3. Pray some more.

Of course this assumes that you have such a standing before God that you can pray. Humbling yourself before him will secure that, regardless of what other failings you have.

~ Nita

No comments:

Post a Comment