Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Knit Plant Hanger

I bought a potted ivy at the thrift shop the other day, but I didn't have a plant hanger, so today I scoured the house for something to make one out of. How about using up some of the Red Heart Yarn I have been given? Red Heart isn't stretchy enough for my usual knitting, but it should be strong enough for a plant hanger. I looked online to find ideas for making a plant hanger out of yarn. The first thing I saw was instructions for knitting one. Why didn't I think of that??



I sort of followed a free pattern  I found on Ravelry, but as you will see if you click on the link, my finished product looks quite different. Here's what I did:

Suggestions for a smaller hanger in brackets.

MATERIALS:
1 skein Red Heart worsted weight yarn
   (or other strong yarn)
size 11 double point needles
size 15 circular needle

MAKE BASE:
Using size 11 double points, Cast on 6 stitches, dividing between three needles.
Increase Round: K1, YO around
Knit three rounds.
Increase Round: K1, YO around.
Knit four rounds.
Continue knitting an increase round then four rounds of straight knitting until there are 32 stitches on each needle. (96 stitches total). [For smaller size, knit only three rounds of straight knitting between increase rounds.Work until there are 16 stitches on each needle. On the next increase round, K2, YO around. (72 stitches.) Knit one row.]
Purl 1 row. (I'll skip this if I do it again.)

MAKE SIDES:
Switch to size 15 circular needle and alternate between the following two rounds:
1: YO, K2tog
2: K2tog, YO
Make sides approximately 5 inches, or whatever height you want. (It'll stretch.)

DIVIDE FOR I-CORDS:
**Switch to size 11 double points. Knit 32 [24] stitches. Leave remaining stitches on circular. Turn
Row 1: (P2tog) 2x, P to last 4 stitches (P2tog.) 2x. [Skip this row from small size.]
Row 2: (K2tog) 2x, K to last 4 stitches (K2tog.) 2x. [Skip this row from small size.]
Row 3: P2tog across. (12 stitches)
Row 4: P2tog, P4, Turn. Put remaining 6 stitches on holder, or leave on extra double point.
Row 5: K2tog. K3. Return the 4 stitches to the left needle.
Row 6: K2tog, K2. Return the 3 stitches to the left needle.
Continue making I-cord by knitting 3 stitches and returning them to the left needle. Repeat for 24". Cut yarn and pull through all stitches.
Attach yarn to 6 stitches on holder, starting on purl side.
Row 1: P4, P2 tog. Turn
Row 2: K2tog, K3 Return to left needle.
Row 3: K2tog, K2.
Now make I-cord as before.
Twist the two I-cords and tie them together at the top end.

Attach yarn to stitches on circular needle, and repeat from ** 2 more times.

Tie in loose ends. Tie the three twisted I-cords together in a large, tight knot. Cut the ends. If the hanger is too long, tie a second knot lower down.

After placing potted plant in the hanger, tighten up the bottom and tie a knot in the center, leaving a bulb of knitting.

I used this hanger on a pot with a 6 inch diameter at the base and approximately 9 inch width at the center. It will fit around a much larger one.

2 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! The plant looks great in that corner above the desk. Al says that all plants take toxins out of the air, too, that's why he always had a variety of plants in his house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I've highlighted it on the blog for www.knittingatplay.com

    It will go live tomorrow morning
    http://blog.crochetatplay.com/


    Megan

    ReplyDelete